For travellers watching closely what is happening in the UK, a two-week quarantine period for anyone arriving in the UK will be enforced from 8 June. The response has been less than enthusiastic, 200 travel companies have written to Home Secretary Priti Patel, asking for the new rules to be scrapped.
What are the New UK Travel Quarantine Rules?
1. Passengers arriving in the UK by plane, ferry or train - including UK nationals - will have to provide an address where they will remain for 14 days. There is a £100 penalty for anyone found to have not filled in this form.
2. Surprise visits will be used to check they are following the rules. Those in England could be fined up to £1,000 if they fail to self-isolate, while governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can also impose penalties.
3. Passengers will be asked to drive in their own car to their destination, where possible. If they don't provide an address, the government will arrange accommodation.
4. They must not go to work, school, or public areas, or use public transport or taxis. They should also not have any visitors unless they need essential support, and should not go out to buy food or other essentials where they can rely on others.
Groups Who are Exempt:
• Road haulage and freight workers
• Medical and care professionals travelling to the UK to provide essential healthcare
• Those arriving to attend pre-arranged medical treatment
• Passengers in transit to another country, if they do not pass through UK border control
• Anyone arriving from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
• Seasonal agricultural workers if they self-isolate on the property where they are working
• UK residents who ordinarily travel overseas at least once a week for work
Why These Measures Now?
The government says the measures are to "keep the transmission rate down and prevent a devastating second wave''.
It hopes quarantine measures will lower the risk of infection being reintroduced from other countries. The measures will be reviewed every three weeks to check they remain ''effective and necessary''
View the official UK Website
or Source Article
for more details.